Saturday, January 28, 2012

Autobiography of Thomas Blanc.

BLANC, Thomas, The frying pan that changed my life... when a terrifying French chef battered me with it, The Daily Mail, January 28, 2012.


Abstract : This article is an autobiography writes by Thomas BLANC, a french Chef who went in London. He tells his experiences : with two Michelin stars, he is named European Chef of the Year in 1990. He'll be on the BBC2 every Thursday at 8pm.

Quotation :
"You know, if it wasn’t for a giant chef with a fierce temper and a heavy frying pan, I wouldn’t be where I am today. He was a huge man and the hairs on his moustache bristled when he was furious, which was often, and I was a curious young waiter. We worked in a restaurant in Besançon, in the beautiful and rugged Franche- ComtĂ© region of France.
One day I tasted the giant’s sauce and said, ‘Chef, I wonder if this is a bit too salty.’ The frying pan, which was an extension of his fist, hit me hard in the face – whoosh and then whack! I fell, my jaw badly smashed.
No, he wasn’t particularly pleasant, but I am indebted to that chef because he changed my fortunes. Soon afterwards the restaurant owner told me I couldn’t come back because I had upset the chef. However, he said he knew a restaurateur in England who would give me a job. So, when I had recovered, I crossed the Channel. My English was so poor it took me three days to drive to Oxford, or ‘Hoxfor’ as I called it. That was in 1972, and it was the turning point in my life. [...]"

Index Terms : French chef, french cuisine.

Found with : Google alert "French chef".
URL : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2092066/Raymond-Blanc-A-terrifying-French-chef-battered-frying-pan.html

MP

No comments: